11.1.09

How to organise research from multiple sources?

So a portion of my days at the moment is spent doing research. New software, web services, becta documents. Some of it is online, some in digital documents and some on actual physical paper would you believe. Now the thing is, how do you put all of this together? How do you store it? How do you look at it all whether you are at home or at the office or out on the road? How do you search for that bit of information you know you read but can't remember whether it was on the web or on a bit of paper?

Well, I'm not sure. Suffering from partial information overload I was looking around for some on or offline solution. Came across Notebook (yes I am a Mac user don't hold it against me) which I have rejected before but didnt remember why until I looked at it again. The thing is I like it, but it doesnt do the whole sharing info thing very well. You are pretty much locked to the machine you are using. Ho hum. 

Perused some lifehacker articles for inspiration and found Evernote. Looks like a winner. Things I like so far;
  • Free (limited but adequate usage)
  • Cloud computing - all accessible via web interface as well as on software on pc, mac etc
  • use web/iSight to add notes with text recognition (pretty good btw although didnt get my wifes scrawls about curtain material - she does work for the nhs though...)
  • to do list incorporated
  • can add stuff by email
Will  see how it goes. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment